Byrd Topples Haughton on Homecoming

Sarah Cripps, Guest Writer

On a quintessential Friday night Homecoming game filled with alumni, crowns, and field goals, the Jackets played a great game, and the fans were there to back them up.

The hive was live, and the beautiful Homecoming Court sat attentive on the sidelines. Hungry for a win, the football boys came out with a vengeance and a drive to make their school proud.

This high-stake district game was on the radar for everyone. The match up of the undefeated Haughton Bucs and the 4-1 Yel- low Jackets was sure to be an exciting game. Holding the lead for only a short time, Haughton soon proved inferior to the mighty Jacket Football Team. Senior tight-end Lucas Henderson was exhilarated when we took back the lead. “Those Bucs play dirty, and it was like the hero gaining on the villain when we scored that next touchdown,” says Henderson. With a final score of 49-17, the Jackets started off Homecoming weekend with a bang. Viewing the game and the fans from the track, Homecoming Maid Sarah Davidson says she has a “new admiration for our student section and our athletes, the whole City of Byrd really came together, culminating a great victory.” With a cookie surprise, the Hive was thrilled to cheer on the Jackets. Compared to the minimal student support that showed up for the Bucs, it was clear Byrd was the winner on and off the field. “We were throwing shade like it was sunny at Haughton,” says avid Jacket football fan, Kaylee Toups. Ending the night with the classic Alma Mater, our Jacket Family reveled in a sense of intense pride. Always deep within our hearts- the purple and the gold.

Next week, the Yellow Jacket football team is set to take on a struggling Southwood Cowboys squad, who has squandered several times this year. Yellow Jacket standout fullback, Tray Allen, said of next week, “ We really need to stay focused and not look ahead to the our next big game. That is how teams slip up and get upset.”

As always come out and support the boys on the road to another great season. Geaux Jackets!