A Night Under the Stars

Tysen Hardman, Guest Writer

Last Friday, C.E. Byrd’s Homecoming football game against the Haughton Buccaneers took place with the dance festivi- ties following on Saturday afternoon. This years theme was “A Night Under the Stars,” and no expense
was spared in decorating accordingly. Early Saturday morning, the Highlife staff and volunteers met at the school to set up for the night’s event. Those who attended the dance can confirm that they truly felt like a movie star. With the red carpet, hanging lights, and over-the-top attire the dance itself, the event will be a long held memory in the lives of those who went. For most, however, home- coming is about much more than the just the dance. “The dance is only a small part of the stressful day,” says senior Kaylee Toups. “Girls usually have to start getting ready hours before the dance so that they can

look their best.” Local hair and Beauty salons spend all day swamped with an outra- geous number of overzeal- ous teens. Running to and fro buying last minute items and addressing the slightest wardrobe malfunction, the excited teenagers impatient- ly await nightfall.

“The best part of my night is honestly the food,” says Senior Garrett Malmay. “That’s what most guys
look forward to.” This
opens an entire new enve- lope of decisions, as if there were not enough already. Most couples decide to take pictures with a group, usu- ally of around five to fifteen people, not including the parents. This means that on average a group of twenty
to twenty-five people must meet at a designated loca- tion, at an established time, and take both individual and group pictures. Thereafter, the group must all get to a restaurant, eat, and make their plans on when to arrive at the dance. The fresh- men, however, have it easy. Dine and Ride provides a

carefree way for freshmen
to attend the dance. For one price, Freshmen are offered dinner and ride arrange- ments for the entire night. “Freshmen year I was kind of embarrassed to participate in dine and ride” says Sarah Desautels. “But now that I’m a senior, I see how awe- some it really was!” This also takes a huge responsi- bility off of the Freshmen’s parents’ shoulders. The
after dance activities are
a big part of the night as well. While some choose to continue the fun at an after party of their choice, others prefer to drop their date off at home and turn in early. Whether you’re a stressed out girl, a carefree guy, or
a parent watching your lit- tle one grow up, everyone’s homecoming experience is different, and that is what makes it such a night to remember.